This is an annual trip for our family going back...well, certainly before my time! I don't remember an opening Dove Season weekend that was not spent in Hamlin, Tx with our dear family friends, the Prewits. Daddy and "Papa" Prewit were college roommates at Baylor in the late 50s, so do the math they go way the heck back.
If you haven't heard of Hamlin, it's about 15 miles outside of Sweetwater, which is about 30 miles outside of Abilene. (If you haven't heard of Abilene either, I can't really help you there. Maybe try listening to some old country music.) It's a very, very small West Texas town, which is surrounded by red dirt fields and oil wells. Perfect land for dove hunting! It's also dry, dry and dry. Oh, and very dusty.
|
![]() |
![]() |
|
|
James and my brother-in-law, Marcus, fishing out the dove that they shot over the tank. Sure would be a good time to bring back the Weimerainers!
Kelly and Shawntel - so glad she could join us this year! Because of her, I put on about 3 lbs. I'm pretty sure she mixes crack in her sugar cookie dough (they are so addicting!)
|
Marcus and my favorite nephew, Tristan. Holding down the fort.
Me and my honey, enjoying a Lone Star Light in a longneck. One of the many things you can only find in Texas.
My sweet niece, Tori Claire, hanging out in the tree.
The redheads: My sister, Stephanie, and Tori
Stephanie and my Dad. (Oh, and the newest addition to the family, mean old Pedro.)
Let me provide the background: my dad asked James to go get them a pan for the dove. James couldn't find one, so (being the resourceful South Georgia boy that he is) improvised by putting foil in an empty ammo box. Oh, dear me...
The Kerr boys, plus the boys who put up with Kerr gals. God bless their very souls - they are certainly up to no good in this picture.
The entire Kerr family! Mother had to promise everyone that she would not use this for a Christmas card (because no one was prepared, no one had on make up, people still had bird guts on them, blah blah blah, excuses excuses), but I never promised I wouldn't add it to the blog. :)

















Such a fun weekend. So glad I was there to experience Labor Day with the Kerr's! I'll never tell if there is or isn't crack in my famous sugar cookies! Great photos and wonderful memories!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Shawntel
love all the pics! Your parents haven't changed one. bit. They look great. Love keeping in touch with you
ReplyDelete